Wednesday, September 19, 2018

The Breakers

The next morning in Newport, we took a tour of the famous "summer cottage" of Cornelius Vanderbilt. Here's an interesting fact. His grandmother was a Spragg. Her name was Mary Spragg and her brother Edward Spragg was my 8th great grandfather. I guess we will not be inheriting this house! 

Here we are in front of The Breakers. This was the Vanderbilt summer cottage. It reminded me of Downton Abbey. 

Everyone got an smartphone. You plugged in your headphones and then listened to the tour room by room. I think this was the kids favorite thing. They got to use a device. 


The great staircase!


The breakfast room


The dining room


Elizabeth very much enjoyed looking at the pretty house. Nathan was not so impressed. 



One of the living rooms. This might have been the drawing room? 


The music room. 






This was the library. They also had a billiards room. I kind of felt like I had jumped inside a game of Clue. I wonder if their music room was actually called the Conservatory? 





One of their daughter's bedroom. 


Their outside living room. It overlooked the Atlantic Ocean and was quite amazing! 


Who wouldn't love this living room? 


The room where the china was kept. I was thinking I should run into Carson and Mrs. Hughes here. They never appeared.  


The lawn was quite nice. 




The view was incredible of course and you could just feel the cool wind off the Atlantic even though it was a very hot day. 



This regular size house was the Vanderbilt kids playhouse. 


Inside the playhouse. 


They had a little piano. They had a nice kitchen too with running water. 


Their playhouse fireplace was impressive!! 


No comments:

Spring Break Observation: April 2, 2014 vs April 2, 2024

We are on Spring Break and my memories popped up with a picture from exactly 10 years ago. We aren't traveling this year and since it wa...