Sunday, March 1, 2009

Books, Fake Milk, and 18 Month Checkups!

Yesterday, Nathan and I went to the Library Sale. We had a great time! I got to see a few of the teachers from school and a lot of people oohed and aahed over Nathan. It's always surprising at a library sale how many books you can get for so cheap! I bought about 20 board books for $6. Yeah, usually those books are $6 a book. Nathan and I have read about every board book at the library, so it's nice to have a bunch of new books to read at home. AND I don't have to worry about him destroying them! I was so excited about his new books I didn't even look at any books for me. That's ok though. I'd rather check them out anyway. I don't like buying too many books for myself. They just clutter up the house and whenever you move, you've got really heavy boxes! I guess that's when you give them away for the library sale. I really need to clean out some of my old books and pass them on!

We also took a trip to Fred Meyer to stock up our supply of Oat Milk for Nathan. It's the only store besides health food stores that sell it. He drinks super expensive formula right now, and we are slowly beginning to give him more Oat Milk. When he's 2, we'll switch him over completely. I was impressed to see that Fred Meyer also now carries Hemp Milk. Nathan really likes that too. Oat and Hemp are our best alternatives for him. Soy is too scary as it is also a highly allergic food and since Nathan is already allergic to half of all the highly allergic foods, we don't want to push it. Rice milk is basically water with some added calcium and vitamins. There is no protein or fat in rice milk, so I don't really see the point for him. Oat milk and Hemp milk both have protein and at least a little fat for a growing brain!

Nathan had his 18 month checkup last week. He now weighs 27 pounds, which is in the 75th percentile. We never thought we'd see that! He's about 32 inches tall which is in the 50th percentile. The doctor was a little concerned as he's only grown 1 inch in six months. He said we need to keep an eye on that as there could be some kind of hormonal problem if the growth doesn't pick up at his 2 year appointment. Also, I wasn't at all surprised to hear this, but Nathan was referred for speech therapy. The only word he says is Mama. The doctor said all babies (even boys) should be saying more then this by now. He should be saying at least 20 words. I really can't figure out what the problem is. We read for seriously hours a day and I spend all day talking to him, but I guess it's not enough. I hope the speech therapy can give us some good tips on how to get him to start talking! We hope to start that in the next month.

1 comment:

Tilleea said...

6 bucks! what a deal! I've never heard of a library sale, I'll have to check out our library to see if they have those.

Spring Break Observation: April 2, 2014 vs April 2, 2024

We are on Spring Break and my memories popped up with a picture from exactly 10 years ago. We aren't traveling this year and since it wa...