Friday, May 12, 2023

Dog Bite

I do a lot of walking and jogging in our neighborhood. On nice days, I am usually out there doing 2-4 miles a day. We've lived here 10 years and it finally happened. I was bit by a dog. 

It was a beautiful evening and I was out having a very nice walk. As I walked by a house, the door was open and this little dog came running right out and just latched onto my ankle. It hurt and stung a lot and swelled. I was a mile from home so Jeremy had to come pick me up. Luckily, he was home otherwise I would have had a painful walk home. 
The owner assured me the dog had all its vaccines so I wouldn't get rabies. The next day, I called the doctor and got some antibiotics sent in. They said dog saliva is gross and has a lot of bacteria in it. Thankfully, as I type this a few weeks later, I think it has healed. I couldn't take my walks for about 3-4 days because it hurt and stung and rubbed right on my shoe.
Interestingly, the owner told me the dog had just completed an intense training program because it had been biting. Looks like the training did not work! 
I am nervous now whenever I come across unleashed dogs. I didn't notice as much before but now I certainly do. Before, when little dogs would come and jump on me I was annoyed but didn't want to kick out or anything in fear the dog owners would yell at me for being mean to their dog. After that bite, I will be kicking at any dog that comes my way. 


 

No comments:

Spring Break Observation: April 2, 2014 vs April 2, 2024

We are on Spring Break and my memories popped up with a picture from exactly 10 years ago. We aren't traveling this year and since it wa...