Friday, September 4, 2020

Great Great Grandpa's Desks

Due to Covid 19, the kids started school all online this year. Elizabeth has zoom with her teacher for about 90 minutes a day and then has some schoolwork to do. Nathan has 3 classes a day on zoom and then some work. They are basically going half days I would say. 

This year, we got them a better set up then working at the dining room table like we did for the 3 months at the end of last school year. 

We moved Nathan's desk out to the dining room. We drove up to Moses Lake to get a desk from Laura for Elizabeth. 

They are actually twin desks! My great grandpa Spragg built them for his 3 grandchildren in 1960. Growing up, I used my Dad's desk which Nathan is using now. 

Laura used Maureen's desk which Elizabeth is using now. 

I am guessing perhaps Carolyn has the third desk. 

Great Grandpa Spragg lived through the epidemic of 1918. I wonder if he ever could have imagined that his great great grandchildren would be living through another pandemic and homeschooling using the desks he built? On computers?  I read somewhere that in 1918, most places just cancelled school for the year. I guess these kids at least get something! It might not be as good as regular school, but they are going to school and learning. 

Along with their school, I also purchased some curriculum I make them do every day. I am making them do spelling every day and they are doing the "Dave Ramsey Middle School Foundations Personal Finance" series. They actually really like the personal finance course! 




 

No comments:

Spring Break Observation: April 2, 2014 vs April 2, 2024

We are on Spring Break and my memories popped up with a picture from exactly 10 years ago. We aren't traveling this year and since it wa...