Monday, May 25, 2009

You can call me Strawberry Shortcake

I love fresh fruits. There is nothing better then eating fresh, in season fruit. In fact, I love fruit so much, I can often times make myself sick eating so much. Particularly with cherries, raspberries, and blueberries. But we are not going to discuss that here. My dream goal is to have my own supply of these fruits. Slowly but surely I will get there!

This year, I've got a strawberry patch I'm going to be working hard at to get to produce fruit. I planted a bunch of strawberries last year, but they got weed infested and there were these very irritating slugs who ate every strawberry that came close to maturing.

I've also got some blueberry bushes I planted a few years ago that I'm also trying to get to thrive. The trick is getting the soil acidic enough. Blueberries love acid. We'll see how they do this year. I'd love to get some raspberries going, but those are tougher. Maybe that will be my project for next year!

It was so gorgeous out today. I spent quite a bit of time out weeding, adding some fertilizer, and watering my strawberries. It was fun and I enjoyed myself. CLEARLY it is early in the year as weeding gets old fast. I hope my plants do better this year. No doubt, it will soon be time to figure out what kind of slug killer works best.



Here's a picture. It's amazing how plants grow slowly and you don't notice. But then you look a picture from a few months before and you're shocked at how small they were before. I just want to document what the strawberry patch look like in May.

The only issue I'm having? While weeding, Nathan likes to help. Problem? He doesn't distinguish between the strawberries and weeds. Not good for Mommy's strawberries. He also just stomps all over them. Oh well. They come back.



Just for fun, here's a picture of Nathan and I swinging. Nathan LOVES to swing. He thinks it's hilarious when someone swings next to him in tandem. I am SO glad the weather is getting nice! It's been SO long!

7 comments:

Christel said...

Good luck with the strawberries! I actually planted some petunias in the back and two other plants (no, I don't know what they are. They were actually gifts from students - one I think is a mini rose, the other, I don't know but it has pink and white flowers on it). I have this horrible problem where I forget to water things, which then in turn, they shrivel up and die. So far my plants are still among the living! Cross your fingers they make it longer than anything I've had in the past.

That picture of you and Nathan swinging, so cute! Your hair is so long! Wow! We still can't get Eli near the swings. When we do, you would think we were torturing the kid. He is NOT a fan of swinging.

gerrycammy said...

Sluggo is my favorite slug killer. Safe and effective...

Crushed oyster shell (you can get it at a farm store) makes a pretty decent barrier too... they don't like crawling over it for some reason.

-Gerry

Amy and Bryan said...

Try Sunshine Blue Blueberries. That's what we planted in our front yard. It is covered with berries.

David Kirkbride said...

Beer is also an excellent slug killer. but the cheapest beer you can find then put it in shallow bowls (preferably sunk into the ground so the lip of the bowl is ground level) then wait for the slugs to crawl in and drown. They like the smell. You'll have to change it every couple of weeks. But it does work. Also, fertilizer for azaleas and rhodies works great on blueberries. Plant the strawberries closer together next time and the runners will fill in faster and choke out any weeds. I miss gardening! Cute pick of you and Nathan swining. Robbie also enjoys me swinging next to him.
-Sarah

The Greenfields said...

Those swings look fun!! KJ has one but we don't have one to swing next to him. I don't have any growing advice though, sadly... I seem to be really bad with any sort of plant.

Northwest Minuteman said...

nice blog, Strawberry Shortcake. Another blog you might enjoy:

www.freedoms-fight.blogspot.com

rkwe said...

Great pictures and stories. It was nice to catch up with the Wakeman Family.

Uncle R & Aunt Susie

Spring Break Observation: April 2, 2014 vs April 2, 2024

We are on Spring Break and my memories popped up with a picture from exactly 10 years ago. We aren't traveling this year and since it wa...